Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Auxiliary Bishop's Letter for Autumn 2022

 Dear Friends,

As I greet you this evening, I am reflecting in gratitude on our gathering almost four months ago as we celebrated together and committed my episcopal ministry to prayer. This summer has provided moments for much needed rest, and an opportunity to begin acclimatizing myself to episcopal ministry. For your prayers in the past four months, your calls, and your emails, I can only say ‘thank you’.

As we begin to move into the autumn months, I am very excited to share with you that final edits have been concluded on The Eucharistic Missal of the Communion of International Communities, and that as of this week, the Altar Edition is available to purchase on Lulu.com. It has been my profound privilege to serve as editor of this project over the past few years – from the conception phase, to our presentation at our Colorado Convocation in 2021, to its first formal use in the Communion on the day of my consecration. Archbishop Todd has provided invaluable feedback from trial usage, with Abbot Bernard and Abbot Emeritus Robert of our Cistercian Order providing guidance on forms and texts for the Order’s use.

In the next few weeks, you should keep your eye peeled... as each parish in the United States will be receiving a copy in the mail. This should arrive in plenty of time for you to review and to prepare for the First Sunday of Advent, when the new Liturgy will come into use. Archbishop Todd will be hosting a Narrative Mass at Saint Matthias in November, and if the video is suitable, he will share it with us. I am planning to host an open call, also in November, for active Q&A on how to navigate the Missal. These opportunities are timed to give you the chance to review your copy before these two learning opportunities.

Finally, as I begin in earnest the process of working with Archbishop Todd to transition into my role as Bishop Ordinary for the American Catholic Communities in January of 2024, I will be reaching out to the clergy and consecrated religious resident in the United States to set up a regular time to connect, to get to know you better, and to learn how I may best serve our Lord and you in the days ahead. Please be on the lookout for that email.

Should a need arise, you are always welcome to contact me.

In Christ, I seek to be your servant.